THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES ?

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Promises

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are halfway through......

  • We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
  • We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
  • We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
  • No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
  • That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
  • We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
  • Self-seeking will slip away.
  • Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
  • Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.
  • We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
  • We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

(AA 3rd Edition. AA World Services, Inc. PP 83-84)

.......One of the gifts I was given when I became sober was the promises that are outlined in the Big Book text. I can remember vividly when I first heard thepromises, I was in awe. Just reading them gave me hope. I can now honestly attest to them materializing in my life one day at a time.

Often in a meeting, I would hear someone say "the only thing promised to you if you continue drinking is jails, institutions & death." Well, that sounded terrifying and I didn't like hearing it.....but it was the truth. Fortunately, I only had the displeasure of experiencing two of those promises. My jails were being imprisoned in my mind; only one arrest for driving under suspension. I'm Blessed to not have a criminal record. My institutional experiences was my 'career' in treatment facilities. Unfortunately, I didn't stay sober after my 1st, 2nd, 3rd........but, each time I was in treatment it saved my life!

God allowed me to live, so that I could receive the promises of AA. My sponsor tells me all the time that "God loves us so much, He gave us our own special program." When I view AA in that context, it makes me feel truly Blessed and favored. The 12 steps is an excellent design for living, and people who are not alcoholics can benefit from AA's concepts as well.

By far, the 12 steps have been the most dynamic, life changing experience of my life. I truly feel transformed, reborn and renewed. Today, I can honestly attest to the "promises" as outlined in the AA text is showing itself evident in my life, one day at a time.



0 comments: